If you’re trying to improve your search engine rankings, then the primary thing you will have to do is start building quality links to your website. Since the late 1990s when Google introduced the idea of inbound links as being the best measure of a site’s value, marketeers have been busy finding new ways to build a base of backlinks for new pages that will start them on the track to solid search engine ranks and more attention to their clients’ websites.
While it takes a long time to really get a foothold on the major search engines for many keywords, there are some techniques that you can employ that will help you build a substantial base of links from which to launch your other search engine marketing efforts. Here are just a few things that you can do to get started right.
1. Link to Other People – This seems counterintuitive, but it’s actually an excellent idea to put links to other, more popular people on your blog and in your own content. For example, many blogs have what are called “trackbacks,” where it automatically gives links in the Comments section to people who have linked to it. The more trackbacks you find yourself in, the more people reading those comment sections will see you. Similarly, people will often link out to or share content that mentions them in some way, so don’t be afraid to write something and Tweet it at the subject of your piece. They might retweet it to their followers.
2. Get Involved in the Community – Most interests these days have an online community of some sort. Certain websites, forums, games, or social media groups that form the hub of interaction for people that share that passion can be a great place for you to start making a name for yourself. Contributing usefully to blog comments, adding unique perspectives, helping others explain things, or just getting your name mentioned can go a long way toward convincing people already involved with whatever it is that you do that they should give you a shot.
3. Syndicate Your Work – There are a lot of places online these days that not only will publish work that has already been published elsewhere, they also take submissions of stuff that may be relevant. This is a perfect opportunity to get links to your stuff out there by posting previews of your work and linking back to the original piece.
4. Re-purpose Content – Just because you’ve already written a text piece on some subject or another doesn’t mean that you can’t also do a slideshow with the same information in it. Nor does it mean that you can’t expand on those ideas in a video that you produce. This is especially true of pieces that you’ve written that are already popular. Reiterating what you already said and that people liked into a new media can get a whole new crowd enjoying it and creating links for you.
5. Guest Blog on Important Websites – This isn’t always easy to do, but regularly contributing content to important blogs and websites in your industry will seriously improve your standing within the community and get you much more attention that you could possibly get on your own or contributing to other small operations. In order to do this you need to work hard to establish your authority, but once you do that you will end up opening yourself to a whole new audience that can then start linking back to your site.
6. Find Somebody to Help You – It’s not always easy to find good, high quality links for your company, especially if you’re just starting out. That’s why it’s sometimes a good idea to get a respectable link building company to help you get that initial start. Often it’s just beginning that is the biggest problem, and if you can pay for that first push, it might make everything else that much easier.
Search engine optimization takes a very long time, but you can start working on it now. The sooner you begin doing the work, the sooner you will start to see results, to get going on building high quality links immediately.