Graphic Source: www.seobook.com
What is DCMA? According to Wikipedia, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is “a United States copyright law that implements two 1996 treaties of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)”.
Has your site content been stolen by others before? It is very frustrating when an author spends a lot of time to produce nice content, and someone just copies the content and enjoys the fruit of that effort. To identify who is copying the content, one can perform a content scan at Copy Scape. This tool will highlight any duplicate content.
In order to protect original authors, a recent Google algorithm update has started to penalize copyright violators’ sites. Besides that, Google has also created a transparency report, which shows the number of copyright owners, reporting organizations, specified domains and removal requests. http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/
What if someone mistakenly reports your site because they think you have stolen their copyrighted content? No worries, in this situation, content owners can raise a counter-notice to report the issue.
About Google Panda
Google Panda is a Google mechanism that monitors the quality of website content. It affects search engine results as well.
The Google Caffeine update in August 2009 sped up content crawling and indexing, making Google more sensitive to site updates, so users can quickly catch up with fresh content. However, faster indexing means a large number of low-quality or spam content is crawled, resulting in a lot of repetitive content and garbage articles ranking higher than original content. Google Panda was born to solve this problem, allowing rapid data collection while also ensuring more quality, original content. Principle of Panda Algorithm Update
1. Qualitative research to analyze the characteristics of low-quality sites, through separate user data.
2. Filter out low-quality content pages, with multiple matching to establish and improve the audit mechanism. The filter mechanism is mainly based on click streams (Google Search, Google Toolbar, Google Chrome, Android), page content and social signals (Google+, Facebook Likes, Twitter Tweets). Content that performs well with these data will not be classified as spam. Site audits are cumulative, as long as a site has too much junk content, it will bring a lot of negative impact, and the site will drop in search result rankings.
About Penguin Algorithm
On April 24, 2012, Google launched a new algorithm update named the “Penguin Update”. Google launched the new algorithm “Panda” to target websites that overuse SEO tools to improve rankings, taking down websites that are full of ads. Google is expected to start punishing “over-optimized” sites, encouraging webmasters to use white hat techniques or not optimize at all.
Principle of Penguin Algorithm
Aims to clean up web spam to protect original content. “White hat” SEO techniques improve the usability of sites by creating rich content, makings sites more friendly to users and search engines. Good search engine optimization also means using good marketing ideas in a creative way to make a site more attractive, helping with search engine indexing and social media sharing.
Black hat spam uses strategies that are not conducive to users, instead looking for shortcuts or loopholes in order to improve a site’s rankings or traffic. There are all kinds of black hat techniques including keyword stuffing and link schemes, to manipulate search rankings. Google’s ultimate goal is to help searchers find sites that provide a superior user experience and meet users’ information needs.
Penguin Algorithm Update Calculation
1. Abuse of anchor text; too many anchor targets on the same keywords, few natural links.
2. Too many links from irrelevant sites or sites that are not linking from a similar niche, e.g. a design tutorial blog linked to a florist page.
3. Too many links from low quality sites, i.e. sites with low visit rates and sites that lack rich content.
Impact of Penguin Algorithm
While it does clean up spam listings, some webmasters complain that their quality sites are accidentally killed by Google’s Penguin. WPMU.org is a good example. On the bright side, this Google algorithm constantly improves Internet searches, which also reflects the fairness of Google. As long as a site is in accordance with Google’s guidelines, the site’s ranking will recover automatically.
How to Make Both Google Penguin and Google Panda Love Your Site?
Invest more effort to your site by creating original and interesting content (also called link bait content). Remember, quality content wins!