Your blog must be the centerpiece of your initiative, i.e. one that can drive or engage your audience, while also creating the signals that support what you are trying to achieve with SEO. One of the major mistakes that most bloggers make is to create posts about their business promotion, but not allow readers to engage with that content.
Firstly, you must know your goals or what you want to achieve. Then, depending on the answers to the questions below, you will be able to decide the steps that will help you set up a good blog:
1. Do you have any issues related to your reputation on search engine result pages?
2. Are you trying to build your brand or company through thought leadership?
3. Do you want your blog to be seen as a unique and unbiased voice in your niche?
4. Are you trying to build a channel that will help in link building?
Building your blog
Another major thing you should consider is of course the location of your blog or where it should reside. Should it reside on a subdirectory, subdomain, or a completely separate domain? Should you use a WordPress or Blogger platform?
Blog on subdirectory:
Here are the pros and cons of having your blog on a subdirectory.
• Add deep links to the root domain directly.
• Add fresh content to the root domain.
• Have RSS feeds of your latest blog posts on your website’s home page.
• Promote the content on your website and earn good links.
• Content must be hosted in the same server.
Blog on subdomain:
• Ability to link to certain pages within the root.
• Content can be hosted on a different server.
• Increase in typo errors when users start a URL with WWW.
• Content that gets promoted does not add much value to the root.
Blog on separate domain:
Some people are interested in creating an unofficial blog presence, so as to have control that is not directly linked to the brand. They just want to have an unbiased voice and only link it to their main website when necessary.
• Create an unbiased voice.
• If your content is good, and is respected or liked in your industry, then the blog can gain authority that can be passed through to your business website via unbiased linking.
• Gaining good authority for posts to rank well will take considerable time.
• Does not show thought leadership for your business.
Blog on Blogger.com (blogspot.com) or WordPress.com:
Using these platforms is one of the easiest ways to create a blog, but there are pros and cons.
• You can employ aggressive link building tactics without burning the target domain.
• It is easy and anybody can start blogging.
• Limits the design range and it may not fit your brand.
• Limits the option of utilizing plug-ins.
• Any content promoted will not provide direct value to your main website.
Summary: Each blogging platform has its advantages. You should always create a blog site that encourages engagement and provides visitors with opportunities to share the content.
Author Bio:- Sabrina is an SEO Executive who has worked with SEO RANK SMART for the last three years. It is an India-based Online Marketing company, with SEO Experts who help you increase your ranking in search engine results.